tax deduction

Travelling Allowances

Taxpayers who receive a travel allowance are allowed to claim a deduction for the use of their private vehicles for business purposes. The travel between home and work is regarded as private travel and cannot be claimed.

To obtain a deduction the taxpayer must:
- Record your vehicle’s odometer reading on 1 March each year and the last day of February. These opening and closing readings give you your total kilometres travelled for the year.
- You need to calculate what portion of the total kilometres travelled was for business use and what portion was for private use.

Travel Allowances

With effect from 1 March 2010, you will only be able to claim travel expenses against your travel allowance if you maintain a log book of your business travel.

A log book template can be downloaded at

Syndicate content